Friday, July 17, 2009

A Gem in the Rough




I love this stone! This odd beauty is called Aragonite . I would almost swear it is from outer space! Thinking back to how I came across it, I can see there were definitely other forces involved in our meeting….
My roommates and I were on our way back from Harbin Hot Springs. None of us really had that great of a time on our trip and I was in one of those special pissy moods throughout the entire weekend. We drove by the Petrified Forest store on the way up and decided we’d stop in on our way back so I could check out their stones. As we made our way back, I so wasn’t feeling it. I just wanted to get the hell home! Erica was pretty persistent about me checking out the store, so with a huge sigh I gave in. I walked into an amazing collection of crystals and fossils, and was instantly grateful for Erica’s persuasion. In no time at all I had my hands full of new rocks to take home and play with. I looked around the store and thought, what a great place to sell my necklaces!
A week later, I noticed there was a random charge of $23, dated two days after my visit. I called and spoke with the manager and over the next week she searched high and low, and could find no trace of the charge. She was baffled. I was blessed. While we were on the phone, I mentioned to her that I make jewelry and had created some amazing pieces out of what I bought there. She checked out my website and quickly responded that she loved my work and would definitely consider doing business with me. She invited me to come back with my collection so that we could formally meet. Not having a car, it took me another two months before I was able to make my way back. She was an amazing source of help and information, giving me a wealth of tips on which shows to go to, and who to speak with to find the best deals on rocks and minerals. On top of that she was more than happy to sell my necklaces at her store. YAY!
For my $23 credit, I chose to pick out more stones rather than receive a refund. That’s when I came across this spectacular collection of Aragonite. This is one of four pieces that I selected. They are going to make incredible necklaces.
Thanks to the mystery charge, I was able to establish a wonderful connection with the Petrified Forest Community in Calistoga, California. An amazing gem to find in the rough of that weekend!

4 comments:

Brooklyn Handspun said...

That is a fantastic stone, and what a fortuitous trip! I am looking forward to reading more about your journey, I remember fondly the times we hung out together in NYC :) I'm so glad you are doing well out there. - Marie

Amanda Self said...

Thank you Marie! I have been thinking of you! The last time I saw you in 2006, you inspired me to begin this blog. The template we created is still on file! =) The date was 11/11. I see that series of numbers all over the place. The 11th day of the 11th month always proves to be a point of powerful new beginnings for me. Thank you for being part of that! =)

littleleaf said...

harbin hot springs has been a place of synchronicity and joy for me, i'm sorry your visit there wasn't so great. but hooray for the synchronicity that followed on its heels!

Amanda Self said...

I plan to go back to Harbin asap, and without all the attitude i had before! I can't wait! I've been thinking about it for weeks...